Tuesday 5 December 2006

Waiting for the letter to arrive....

It's the time of the year where everything is winding down and teachers are getting excited about the impending holidays.
However if you are a teacher in my position then you'll have a niggling question in the back of your mind - "Will I have a job next year?".

Welcome to the world of fixed term teachers. A constant stream of uncertainly that faces us whenever time draws closer to the end date of our positions and we wonder if another job opportunity will present itself. Considering my current situation I thought I'd share my experience on here.

Over the past two weeks I have been frequently asked by many teachers and parents if I will have a job next year. My answer "No, I just have to wait and see what happens".

Now relying on Staffing to give you the job isn't the only way of gaining employment in a school. There is also the highly competitive Merit Select road. I gave that a go this year - what a exhausting and demoralising experience that was for me. I learnt that I had to feel better about myself as a teacher before I could effectively sell myself in a Selection Criteria.

So I have come to rely on Staffing to appoint me a position. I am not worried that I haven't heard anything yet. The school year hasn't finished yet and there is still six weeks till the new school year.

What I have found interesting is how angry and disgusted people are with the Education Department for the "way I'm being treated", and yet I don't feel the same way. I was appointed to my current school for one year, which finishes on Friday. Next year they have two positions which have been filled by teachers through the referred teacher process. These teachers are both coming from the far north. They have spent their time in the country, one in a remote school and have earned their permanency and consequently a position in my school. So I can't feel angry about not being able to stay in my current job next year because these two teachers deserve it. All I can hope for is another position with a long contact or unbelievably be given a clear vacancy position. The latter isn't likely considering I've only chosen metro schools. Another reason I can't be unrealistic about getting a job - but I need to stay in the city because that is where I'm happy.

I do have a smaller glimmer of hope to stay on at my current school though. The teacher appointed to the Pre Primary is taking next year off. This gives me the chance to have another year at my school. The principal is currently harassing staffing for me so I can stay. Fingers crossed that I can!

There are only three days left of school and in that time I have to hope that I get some good news. If not I'll be walking to the letter box everyday, waiting for the letter to arrive from the Department that tells me where I will be working next year.

If you are in the same position as me - Good Luck! And please feel free to comment and share your own story.

No comments: